How to Eat With Braces
For most situations, common sense will tell you what to avoid. Hard foods, sticky foods and foods high in sugar (especially soda pop) must be avoided. Hard foods can break or damage wires and brackets. Sticky foods can get caught between brackets and wires. Minimize sugary foods; they cause tooth decay and related problems. Nail biting, pencil and pen chewing and chewing on foreign objects should be avoided. Don’t worry, you’ll be eating popcorn and snacking on potato chips again in no time!
Foods to Avoid with Braces
- Gum containing sugar
- Sugar Daddies
- Tootsie Rolls
- French bread crust/rolls
- Corn on the cob
- Hard chips
- Jolly Ranchers
- Juices with high sugar content
Foods you CAN Have with Braces
- Sugarless gum – chewing gum can help with the initial soreness associated with braces
- Dairy – soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads – soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains – pasta, soft-cooked rice
- Meats/poultry – soft-cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood – tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables – mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits – applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats – ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
Braces are a new and exciting time in one’s life. Achieving a beautiful, and most importantly, a healthy smile is crucial for quality of life. Take the time to educate yourself on all facets of braces and oral health. We at Sullivan Orthodontics are pleased to offer education along with execution for all of our patients.
Thank you taking the time to become a better version of you! It’s no secret that overall health has everything to do with your mouth, what’s in it, and how you take care of it. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule your complimentary consultation, please call (541) 749-2098.